MOCA-Peds: Research and Evaluation
The American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) officially launched MOCA-Peds (Maintenance of Certification Assessment for Pediatrics) in 2019 after a two-year pilot. MOCA-Peds is the default option for pediatricians to fulfill their Maintenance of Certification (MOC) exam requirement.
This page describes the research methods used to build and evaluate MOCA-Peds — based on the experience and input from tens of thousands of board-certified pediatricians — and provides some of the research results.
To provide an optimal user experience, the ABP has gathered feedback from user panels, in-person and virtual focus groups, in-person usability tests, and surveys with both pilot and 2019 participants. As of January 2018, more than 200 pediatricians participated in the in-person and virtual groups, and nearly every participant in the pilot — exceeding 10,000 pediatricians — responded to the surveys.
To learn more about MOCA-Peds and how it works for pediatricians, please visit our MOCA-Peds (https://www.abp.org/mocapeds) webpage. If you are a pediatrician and want to learn how you are personally affected, please log in to your ABP Portfolio (https://www.abp.org/ABPLanding).
NEW: Read about the overall scoring, participation, and survey results for MOCA-Peds in our 2020 evaluation results infographic (PDF).
The reports below provide a graphical summary of pediatrician performance in each of the content areas assessed by MOCA-Peds in 2020.
- General Pediatrics 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-peds-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
- Child Abuse Pediatrics 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-chab-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
- Pediatric Gastroenterology 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-gast-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-idis-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
- Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-dbeh-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-neon-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
- Pediatric Nephrology 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-neph-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
- Pediatric Pulmonology 2020 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/2020-pulm-moca-content-area-report.pdf) (PDF)
2019 Performance Reports
- General Pediatrics 2019 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/moca-peds-content-report-gen-peds-2019.pdf) (PDF)
- Child Abuse Pediatrics 2019 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/moca-peds-content-report-chab-2019.pdf) (PDF)
- Pediatric Gastroenterology 2019 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/moca-peds-content-report-gast-2019.pdf) (PDF)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases 2019 Content Area Feedback Report (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/moca-peds-content-report-idis-2019.pdf) (PDF)
Learn More About the MOCA-Peds Pilot
- Peer-reviewed articles reviewing the design of MOCA-Peds and pilot outcomes (https://www.abp.org/publications?combine=MOCA-Peds)
- 2018: Who participated, where they work, and how they stay up-to-date (https://create.piktochart.com/output/27747076-moca-peds-pilot-2018-participant-summary)
- 2017: Who participated, where they live, and what they think about it (https://create.piktochart.com/output/24034451-moca-peds-survey-data-to-participants)
- 2017 and 2018: Evaluation results (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/moca-peds-research-summary-2017-2018.pdf) (PDF)
- 2017: Evaluation results (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/moca-peds-research-summary-2017.pdf) (PDF)
- A brief review of participation in MOCA-Peds in 2019 (https://www.abp.org/sites/abp/files/pdf/moca-peds-2019-infographic.pdf) (PDF)
The formative evaluation of MOCA-Peds was made possible through funding from the ABP Foundation (https://www.abp.org/foundation) and conducted by ABP staff in partnership with RTI International (https://www.rti.org/), a global research firm.